|Town Clerk||Katherine Hierons|
|Facilities Manager||Colin Ranson|
|Finance and Administration Manager||vacancy|
|Grounds and Estates Officer||Trevor Violet|
|Facilities Assistants||Alan Sapsed, Alf Wilson, Chris Davison|
|Parks & Grounds Assistants||David Harvey, Lauren Smith|
|Grounds & Estates Assistants||Stephen Hymer, John Cheeseman, John Smith, Peter Hodgson, Ralph Curry, David Smith, Byron Brown, Michael Kay|
|Parks & Grounds Monitoring Assistant||Paul Edgcumbe|
|Finance and Administration Assistant||Viki Clarke, Louise Holmes, Julie Walton, Joy Woods|
|PA to Town Clerk & Town Mayor||Lisa Yorke|
All members above can be contacted on the same telephone number (01388 815276) and email address email@example.com
There are no current Vacancies
The Clerk to the Council will be the Proper Officer of the Council and, as such, is under a statutory duty to carry out all the functions and, in particular, to serve or issue all the notifications required by law of a Local Authority’s Proper Officer. The Clerk will be totally responsible for ensuring that the instructions of the Council in connection with its function as a Local Authority are carried out.
The Clerk is expected to advise the Council on, and assist in the formation of overall policies to be followed in respect of the Council’s activities and, in particular, to produce all the information required for making effective decisions and to implement constructively all decisions.
The Clerk will be accountable to the Council for the effective management of all its resources and will report to them as and when required. The Clerk will be responsible for all the financial records of the Council and the careful administration of its finances.
- To manage the interface between the Council employees and Elected Members
- To advise Members on all policy and administration.
- To achieve and maintain Quality Council Status.
- To advise on and develop for consideration by Members, the Council’s Best Value Performance Plan and ensure that the associated action plans and performance indicators are achieved.
- To ensure that legal, statutory and other provisions governing or affecting the running of the Council are observed.
- To ensure that all aspects of the Data Protection Act are applied in respect of the Council’s Systems and procedures,
- To monitor and balance the Council’s accounts and prepare records for audit purposes and VAT.
- To ensure that the Council’s obligations to insure are properly met.
- To prepare, in consultation with appropriate Members, agenda for meetings of the Council and its committees, to attend such meetings and prepare institutes for approval.
- To receive correspondence and documents on behalf of the Council and to deal with the correspondence or documents or bring such items to the attention of the Council. To issue correspondence as a result of the instructions of, or known policy of, the Council.
- To receive and report on invoices for goods and services to be paid for by the Council and to ensure such accounts are met. To issue invoices on behalf of the Council for goods and services to ensure payment is received.
- To study reports and other data on activities for the Council and on matters bearing on those activities. Where appropriate, to discuss such matters with administrations and specialists in particular fields.
- To draw up both on his/her own initiative and as a result of suggestions by councillors, proposals for consideration by the Council and to advise on practicability and the likely effects of specific courses of action.
- To develop training and development plans for staff and Elected Members, arrange the associated delivery and monitor its effectiveness.
- To supervise any other members of staff in keeping with the policies of the Council and to undertake all necessary activities in connection with the management of the salaries, conditions of employment and work of other staff, including the effective maintenance of standards of employee conduct.
- To ensure regular employee appraisal and progress reviews are undertaken in accordance with the Council’s performance management framework.
- To monitor the implemented policies of the Council to ensure they are achieving the desired result asid, where appropriate, suggest modifications.
- To act as representative of the Council as required.
- To issue policies and prepare agendas and minutes for the Annual Town Meeting, to attend the assemblies of the Town Meeting and to implement the decisions made at the assemblies.
- To attend meetings of the Council and its Committees, or arrange representation as appropriate.
- To prepare, in consultation with the Leader/Chairman, press releases about the activities of, or decisions of the Council.
GRADE This post will be reviewed as part of job evaluation
LOCATION Your normal place of work will be Spennymoor Town Hall however you may be required to work at any council workplace within the Town.
RELEVANT TO THIS POST;
- Car User Status Casual car user allowance
- Hours of work 37 hours to meet the needs of the business
The post holder will be accountable to the Town Clerk
DESCRIPTION OF ROLE
To be responsible for the leadership and management of the councils public facing services including the relevant teams and budgets. To create and deliver business development, business planning, sales and marketing plans. Manage the customer experience from initial customer contact through to delivery all catering, hospitality, events and functions including providing a front of house presence. To take responsibility for the art gallery dealing with exhibitions, press, booking of artists and arranging volunteers and its financial viability and trading account. To be responsible for the council’s land, buildings and property portfolio including the caretaking, building management and building maintenance functions. To manage the council’s Town Hall; grounds, property, estates, open spaces, cemeteries, community buildings and allotments. Ensuring that all statutory and legislative and health and safety requirements are met at all times.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES SPECIFIC TO THIS POST;
- Deputise in the Town Clerks absence.
- Responsible for the development, monitoring and management of all appropriate procurement and partnership arrangements that support and enhance council’s services.
- Responsible for the management and monitoring of all relevant budgets and trading accounts.
- Responsible for the procurement of goods and services ensuring the council, public and customers receive a value for money service.
- Provide strategic and operational management of all front facing council service teams.
- To ensure appropriate land and property, building management, building maintenance, security and fire protection arrangements are in place for all council buildings and land.
- To be responsible for the security of all Council buildings.
- To arrange the management and maintenance of the Councils equipment, plant and vehicles.
- To set and monitor menu and room hire rates and terms.
- To organisation and manage special projects and events on behalf of the council.
- Negotiate prices and others with Council partners.
- Develop the Art Gallery with regards to bookings of artists, sales and promotional activity.
- To work in and with the community to sell and promote council services and where necessary visit clients at their homes.
- To produce and present reports and briefing papers to the Town Clerk and members on the performance of the relevant service areas, trading accounts and information documents.
- To support the Finance Manager with the development of the medium term financial plan and budget setting and monitoring process.
- Provide relevant support to the councils committees and bodies.
- Responsible for the compliance of the relevant music, liquor and entertainment licencing arrangements.
- To develop invest to save initiatives, budget saving and income generation initiatives.
- Be committed to continuous professional development and undertake appropriate training and development for the improvement of our services and the business.
- Mining Museum – undertake the Council’s facilities management and client role regarding the Mining Museum
- Provide Business Planning Arrangements for the Town Hall hire, bar and catering and facilities management.
- Promote the Council services at all times and attend meetings and events presenting the Council in a positive and professional way.
- Maintain confidentiality of all Council information, records and financial information and data at all times.
- Undertake other such duties and responsibilities as directed by the Town Clerk and commensurate with the grade.
COMMON DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES;
To set, monitor and evaluate standards at individual, team performance and service quality so that the user and the services requirements are met and that the highest standards are achieved.
To ensure that data reports are used in decision making processes, and to demonstrate through behaviour and actions a firm commitment to service improvement, data security and confidentiality.
To establish and manage a communication system that ensures the services procedures, policies, strategies plans and objectives are effectively communicated to all relevant stakeholders.
To ensure that professional practice across the teams are carried out to the highest of standards and developed in line with the services stated objectives of continual improvement in quality of its services to internal and external customers.
Health and Safety
To ensure that the Health and Safety policy, organisational arrangements and procedures as they relate to areas activates and personnel under your control are understood, implemented and monitored.
To provide vision and leadership to individuals and teams, ensuring that effective systems are in place for workload allocation and management, the application of the authorities and services policies and procedures, including those relating to equality, supervision and appraisal and all aspects of their performance, personal development, health and welfare.
To set and manage a range of designated budgets ensuring that income and expenditure budgets are monitored and where necessary action plans developed. To investigate and develop invest to save projects and schemes to reduce costs and improve services. To ensure the services achieve value for money in all circumstances through the monitoring and control of expenditure and the early identification of any financial irregularity.
All members of staff will receive an appraisal and it is the responsibility of each member of staff to follow guidance on the appraisal process.
Equality and Diversity
As an organisation we are committed to promoting a just society that gives everyone an equal chance to learn, work and live free from discrimination and prejudice. To ensure our commitment is put into practice we are developing policies, which will seek to remove any barriers to equality of opportunity and to eliminate unfair and unlawful discrimination.
All members of staff are required to undertake that that they will not divulge to anyone personal and or confidential information to which they may have access during the course of their work.
All members of staff must be aware that they have explicit responsibility for the confidentiality and security of information received and imported in the course of work and using council information assets.
The council has in place an induction programme designed to help new employees to become effective in their roles and tom find their way in the organisation.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide hands on supervision of the Finance and Administration Assistants to ensure that all work is undertaken in a timely, safe, customer focused way and within budget, while creating a positive working environment and team culture.
- To work with partners, the community and agendas to ensure that the Council’s Finance and Administration Team area supervised and presented to the public in the best possible way.
- Create, record and monitor a written procedure guide for each and every activity and duty undertaken by the Finance and Administration team, so that in the event of staff absence within the team there is in place a written procedure to follow on a step by step basis for each and every activity and duty undertaken by the Finance and Administration Team.
- Manage and have responsibility for Petty Cash.
- Develop and maintain the range of Council information services, including the maintenance of the Council’s Website.
- Prepare a weekly report for Managers and Elected Members on all publicity related to Spennymoor Town Council and Spennymoor Parish to include the monitoring of Social Media Websites relating to Spennymoor Town Council responsibilities and performance.
- Provide and supervise effective support to the Town Clerk, Facilities Manager, Finance and Administration Manager and Elected Members, in respect of all Council Committee Meetings, functions and events.
- Ensure that accurate Agenda’s and Reports are available for all Council Meetings, Council Committee Meetings, Meetings of Council Working Groups and Pre-agenda Meetings. Following up Council approvals that actions are implemented
- Create record and monitor an Annual Civic Programme of works and events for the relevant individuals Within the Finance and Administration Team to work to, to ensure that productivity and effectiveness in maximised and costs are managed.
- Assist in the planning and organisation of key Town Council Events in liaison with the Town Clerk, the Facilities Manager, the Finance and Administration Manager and Senior Members as appropriate.
- Attendance as and when required at Civic Events
- Comply with all relevant Council systems, policies and procedures to ensure compliance with financial regulations, standing orders and administration procedures and systems.
- Produce business, performance and information reports for the Town Clerk, Facilities Manager and Finance and Administration Manager on a timely and accurate as and when required basis.
- Supervise the Town Hall booking arrangements, ensuring the effective utilisation of premises and efficient administration.
- Ensure the effective and legally compliant, efficient administration of the Planning Application Registration process.
- Ensure the effective and legally compliant, efficient administration of Cemetery and Memorial Garden Records and the issuing of legally compliant Grants of Burial and transfer of such.
- Maintain and update the Council’s Member and Staff Handbook.
- Maintain, monitor and control the Town Hall co-tag and CCTV equipment and door access arrangements in accordance with the Council’s Policies and all relevant legislation, producing relevant reports and information as required by the Town Clerk from time to time.
- Monitor and record the implementation of all Council resolutions by producing a monthly performance management action plan for officers and members.
- Meet with individual customers and community group representatives ensuring a positive responsive customer focused service ensuring that the Council’s reputation is at the forefront of all decisions.
- Promote all Town Council Services at all times and attend meetings and events presenting yourself and the Council in a positive and professional way.
- The procurement of goods and services required
- Support the Management team with the recruitment process
- Maintain Employee training records
- To monitor and provide Absence Management information to agreed trigger levels
- Keep relevant inventory records
The above is not exhaustive and the post holder will be expected to undertake any duties which may reasonably fall within the level of responsibility and competence of the post as directed by the Finance and Administration Manager.
Common Duties and Responsabilities
- Quality assurance To set, monitor and evaluate standards at individual, team performance and Service quality so that the user and the service requirements are met and that the highest standards are maintained.
- To establish and monitor appropriate procedures to ensure that quality data reports are used in decision making processes, and to demonstrate through behaviour and actions a firm commitment to data security and confidentiality as appropriate.
- To establish and manage the team communication systems, ensuring that the service’s procedures, policies, strategies, objectives, vision and values are effectively communicated to all team members and where relevant the public.
- Professional practice To ensure that professional practice in the team is carried out to the highest standards and developed in line with the services stated objectives of continual improvement in quality of its services to internal and external Customers.
- To positively promote all Town Council services and facilities at all times and when required to attend Town Council events and promotions, representing the Town Council in a positive, polite and professional manner at all times.
- To adhere to all Council Policies and procedures as set out in the Member/Officer Handbook at all times.
- To ensure that the Health and Safety policy, organisation arrangements and procedures as they related to areas, activities and personnel under your control are understood, implemented and monitored, checking of relevant premises and equipment for damage/Wear and tear, maintain maintenance records where necessary request repairs.
- Ensuring that protective clothing and footwear appropriate to the prevailing conditions is worn, only approved materials are used during work related activities and that safe methods of work are adopted in line with health and Safety requirements and best practice.
- Attending appropriate Health and Safety and other relevant training courses as part of the training requirements identified to enable all duties to be carried Out.
- General management duties to provide vision and leadership to all staff within the specific team.
- Ensure the safe usage and storage of equipment and materials, while ensuring that effective systems are in place for workload allocation and management. Ensure the application of the authorities and the services policies and procedures, including those relating to equality, supervision and appraisal and all aspects of their performance, personal development, health and welfare.
- Financial Management To procure goods and services by using the Council’s systems and procedures ensuring that the service achieves value for money in all circumstances through the monitoring and control of expenditure and the early identification of any financial irregularity.
- Appraisals for all members of staff . It is the responsibility of each member of staff to follow the guidance relating to the appraisal process.
- Equality and Diversity; As an organisation we are committed to promoting a just society that gives everyone an equal chance to learn, work and live free from discrimination and prejudice. To ensure our commitment is put into practice we are developing policies, which will seek to remove any barriers to equality of opportunity and to eliminate unfair and unlawful discrimination.
- Confidentiality; All members of staff are required to undertake that they will not divulge to anyone personal and or confidential information to which they may have access during the course of their work. All members of staff must be aware that they have explicit responsibility for the confidentiality and security of information received and imported in the course of their work and using council information and assets.
- Induction; The Council has in place an induction programme designed to help new employees to become effective in their roles and to find their way in the organisation.